Friday, February 27, 2009

Respect – Heart of the Matter Online Meme – February 27, 2009

HOTMSidebar

Today’s Heart of the Matter Online Meme Topic is the following:

Real Life Subjects: What Your Family Does Ordinarily That Teaches Your Child an Abundance of Lessons?

What came to my mind when I read this topic is respect.  My husband and I are often disturbed by how we hear other people speak to each other – friends, family, whatever.  We want our children to learn to speak respectfully to family members as well as other people.  Part of how we teach that is through example.  Mr. Math Tutor and I work hard at speaking nicely to each other even when we disagree.  We also have “Speak Respectfully” as one of the Five Rules of our family.  When the kids get into disagreements, I try to let them work things out by themselves as much as possible, but I do step in if they start to talk disrespectfully to each other.  So far, the results seem to be positive.

Check out Heart of the Matter Online to see what other families teach as they homeschool.

1 comment:

Mrs. Random said...

I absolutely agree with you here! This is such an important lesson to learn, and it has to start in the home and has to be continually modeled by the parents :)