Monday, January 05, 2009

Winter Wonderland

I am writing from camp right now, but since there’s no internet connection here, this won’t get posted till we get home tomorrow afternoon or Monday.  This is our second year to enjoy a weekend in the Northwoods in the winter.  Our trip here was mildly interesting.  Before we left home, we couldn’t get the hood on the car to completely latch.  It was probably due to the cold, because we got it to latch when we stopped to pick up some stuff in town.  (We were going to stop at the car place to see if they could fix it before we left – thankfully, we didn’t have to.) 

When we were about 30 minutes from camp (about 2 hours from home), I realized that I left my coat at home!  It was cold when we left home, but I had just run from the house to the car in my sweatshirt and never noticed that I had left my coat, hat, and gloves inside.  We have made do, though.  Mr. Math Tutor had an extra pair of gloves and an extra hat, then bought a lined windbreaker from the canteen.  So, for $40, we managed to keep us from freezing.

We got here just in time for dinner last night and then hoped to ski or tube.  Sadly, though, it was below zero after dinner, so we stayed in for the evening.  I got a migraine in the middle of the night, so I didn’t do any outdoor activities until after lunch.

Mr. Math Tutor and Wild Man did some cross-country skiing after breakfast.  Then, Mr. Math Tutor and Ga’hoole Girl went ice skating.  They also did a session in the nature center where they learned to make snow ice cream.  After lunch, the kids and I did a couple of runs down the tube hill. It was fun, but I’m sure I’ll be sore from climbing the stairs.  Ga’hoole Girl and I went on a sleigh ride and then learned about maple syrup at the nature center.

We are forecast to get 5-7 inches of snow here tonight, so we aren’t planning to do any more Winter Wonderland activities tonight.  We’ll have to see about tomorrow morning.  Except for the migraine, this is turning out to be a great start to the new year!

No comments: