Monday, January 19, 2009

Homeschool Moments – January 19, 2009

This morning, when I got out of my shower, Mr. Math Tutor was sitting on the floor cutting up Algebra Tiles for a student he’s working with, Wild Man was working on his AWANA on the sofa, and Ga’hoole Girl was reading on the other end of the sofa.  Mr. Math Tutor asked what “holy” means.  I answered “set apart”.  Mr. Math Tutor said, “That’s what I thought.  Wild Man’s AWANA book, though is using words like righteous and pure.  But, the AWANA stuff usually has good theology.”  Of course, we couldn’t let things stand like this.  I went to my computer Bible Dictionary and checked out what they said which was “set apart for righteousness” or “set apart for God’s use”.  A minute or two of discussion followed, after which the meaning of the word “holy” in Scripture is much more clear.

As I was making my lunch, I commented to Mr. Math Tutor about the calorie content of some food.  Wild Man asked what a calorie is.  Of course, in my desire to be precise, I started to tell him that it is the energy required to raise 1 ml of water to 100 degrees Celsius.  He got kind of glazed over, so I started over with how exercise burns energy and food gives us energy.  He was still pretty glazed over, so Mr. Math Tutor explained that we need to balance what we eat with what we burn off and calories are a measure to help us do that.  I think Wild Man kind of understood.

These are yet two more examples of why I’m glad we homeschool.  It isn’t always easy, but being able to teach kids what they need and want to know now in a way they understand is so precious.

No comments: