Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CPSIA Blogging Day

Through a rather convoluted internet journey, I came across this post from Overlawyered about today being CPSIA Blogging Day, so I thought I’d participate.  I’m not usually terribly political, but this is important on so many levels.

CPSIA is the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act that was passed overwhelmingly in the Fall and is set to take effect February 10.  What’s the problem, you ask?  Apparently, this law will require that everyone who sells anything for children will be required to do extensive testing for safety.  This will have a chilling effect on thrift stores, resale shops, crafters of handmade goods, and others.  If I decided to sell a baby sweater that I made, I would not be able to just sell it on Etsy or Ebay until I had done expensive testing.

Check out this link for the relevant posts from Overlawyered and pray, pray, and pray some more.  We are seeing serious overreaching by the federal government that is having severe unintended consequences.  Get informed and write to your lawmakers.

 

No comments: