Monday, January 12, 2009

Rough Day

I’m not really sure why I’m blogging tonight.  My migraine started last night and has persisted all day today, albeit at a manageable level – at least, manageable if I didn’t do anything more than sit and read or knit.  But, research says that journaling about life and illness is good for people with chronic illness.  So, you might want to quit reading now if you’re reading expecting some point to this post since I’m just writing for the heck of it.

If you’re still with me, here’s a couple of random pictures of my kids to make you smile.

DSCN0282 DSCN0260

Are you smiling yet?  I am.  My kids are really cute – even if they are getting older.  Wild Man now has the drum set in his bedroom, but we’re still looking for a teacher.  And, no, he did not play drums today during my migraine.  I realized yesterday that next year, Wild Man will be in the Junior High group at church and Ga’hoole Girl will be in the High School group.  Yikes!  I’m getting old and I’m clearly not ready for this.

Ga’hoole Girl has taken up coin collecting recently.  She ordered some more nickel and penny books to hold her collection.  She found a dime yesterday that she thought might be missing the nickel cladding from the “tails” side.  To figure it out, she sent a question to allexperts.com.  They answered her back in about an hour and she was told that she needed to weigh the dime to see if it is likely to have a cladding error.  We don’t have a sensitive enough scale here (the dime should weigh 1/2 an ounce less than normal if it is missing the cladding) so she and Mr. Math Tutor are going to the high school to weight the dime in the physics lab.  It’s nice that Mr. Math Tutor knows the teachers.  He sent an email today to the physics teacher and she said to come by tomorrow morning during first hour and they could do the measurement.  If the dime really is defective, it could be worth $50.  Cool!

Ga’hoole Girl and I started watching a documentary about world-class whistlers.  Now she wants to get good at whistling and go to the annual competition.  Wild Man finished Discovery 2 in his AWANA book today.  It’s snowing now and we’re probably going to get another 2-4 inches – like we need anymore snow.  Then, it’s going to get wicked cold.  We were going to take Mr. Math Tutor out for his birthday on Wednesday night, but we decided that it would be OK to do it next week.  We aren’t real hip on the idea of driving 30 miles when the wind chills are 30 below zero.  But, the kids are excited about making snow ice cream tomorrow.

I made a huge pot of tomato soup on Saturday.  It’s a really hearty soup with lots of ham in it, along with cream and half & half.  Since I use the hambone to make the soup, Mr. Math Tutor doesn’t have to clean all the meat off when he’s cutting the ham, which is easier for him.  Then, we get tons of ham in the soup.  It also works out well today because I didn’t have to worry about meal planning.  Although, that doesn’t really make sense because Mr. Math Tutor made a frozen pizza for him and Ga’hoole Girl, and Wild Man made chicken nuggets for himself.  But, I don’t feel guilty about the lack of home-cooking because the soup was there if they didn’t want to do pizza or nuggets.

Enough rambling from me.  Feel free to post random thoughts in the comments.  I’ll post something coherent when my head isn’t splitting and I’m not seriously medicated.

No comments: