Sunday, January 25, 2009

The “Not-So-New” Me – January 25, 2009

First of all, if you are interested in the drawing for Never Say Diet and the Never Say Diet Fitness Trainer, check out this post and leave a comment.  The drawing is Thursday, January 29, so tell your friends and neighbors!!

This was a fair week for me as far as eating and exercise.  I think I’ve already made some of the easy changes, so my goals for this week were a bit more challenging.

I did start eating more fruits and veggies, but I’m not consistently at three servings a day.  When I have a headache, it is harder for me to eat the healthy foods.  I don’t like them very much, and it takes emotionally energy (that I don’t have when my head hurts) to get the willpower to eat them.  I bought grapes and apples this week.  The kids ate all the grapes before I got to them!  I have had apples a couple of times this week.

My exercise goal was to do my weight training and to get to the gym.  I didn’t get to the gym because I felt rotten most of Tuesday through Thursday.  On Friday, I did my Day 3 exercise routine (strength training at home).  I did make an appointment to see my trainer to get the rest of my Day 2 program for this next Tuesday.  I did exercise most days this week.  On several days, I’ve started adding intervals of increased intensity while I’m walking.  It’s supposed to increase the calories burned, but it also adds to the interest of walking on the treadmill.  I spend the first couple of minutes of the interval thinking how good I’m doing and how great I feel and the last couple of minutes praying for God to save me!

Since I didn’t do as well with eating as I would have liked this week, I am going to continue with the goal of increasing my fruits and veggies.  My exercise goal is to continue with intervals and do at least two days of weight training.

I have also decided that I need to buy snack food items that are not individually wrapped to save money.  To that end, I’m going to get crackers and cookies and repack them in small zipper bags of 100-150 calories each.  I put a large basket on a shelf in the dining room for fruit, but it’s too big for just fruit, so I’ll put all the snacks in that basket.  The enforced portion control will be good for the kids as well as me.

So far, I’ve lost 7 pounds.  I’m pretty excited about that.  I’ll be more excited when I can put on my smaller jeans, but that’s still a few pounds away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! 7 pounds---way to go! Whatever you're doing is obviously working. You'll make up for the exercise when you're able! I wanted to share a wonderful fruit sorbet recipe that I got from the Biggest Loser cookbook that's SUPER easy and REALLY good (and cheap too). You can use any kind of fruit that would make a good sorbet (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, peaches, bananas, etc.). I personally think blueberry and strawberry is my favorite. Curtis wanted me to make this when we see ya'll in MS (he really likes it that much), but since you're needing to increase your fruit, I'll go ahead and share it with you now! (not only do you get fruit, but you get dairy as well).

In a food processor, chop/puree 1 cup of frozen fruit until it's mostly smooth. Add 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt and 1 packet of Spenda and process until smooth. Calories for blueberry sorbet: 65, for strawberry: 85. It makes a big bowl of ice cream, gets you 1 cup of fruit and 1/4 cup of yogurt AND it's delicious! Enjoy! (and let me know how you like it)