Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Kids and Laundry – Works for Me Wednesday – April 8, 2009

wfmwbannerKRISTEN

First things first – go to this post to read the review of Clutter-Free Christianity.  Leave a comment and you will automatically be entered in the drawing for a free book to be held on Thursday, April 9.  So, go check it out!!

I’m not a big fan of doing laundry.  Actually, no one in this family is.  But, no one (except, maybe, Wild Man) likes to wear dirty clothes, either.  So, we’ve had to figure out how to get the laundry done.

When I was working, Mr. Math Tutor did the laundry.  The kids helped by throwing their dirty clothes over the balcony into the hallway and then taking them into the laundry room.  When we moved into this house and I became the stay-at-home parent, I just figured that the kids would help more with laundry since I need more help nowadays.  I’ve finally gotten a system that works reasonably well.

We have a three-bag laundry hamper in the hallway outside the bathroom – one for each kid and one for parents and whites combined.  I take care of washing my and Mr. Math Tutor’s clothes for the most part.  If I’m not up to it, I’ll ask Mr. Math Tutor to wash a load for me, which he does quite cheerfully.  I also wash the white clothes.  Generally, I also fold them and then each person puts their own white clothes away.  Occasionally, I have kids fold white clothes while they watch TV or listen to me read.  They really don’t like it, but they do it anyway.

Here’s the part that has made my life easier.  The kids wash their own clothes.  When we started, they each had a day to do their laundry, but life kept getting in the way.  Now, I just tell them to do laundry when the hamper is getting full.  What’s cool is that Ga’hoole Girl doesn’t even wait anymore for me to remind her.  She takes care of doing her laundry completely on her own.  They still sometimes need to be reminded to hang and fold clothes, but they do much better than I did when I was their age.  And, it works for me.

Check out what others have to say at Works for Me Wednesday!!

 

2 comments:

KC said...

Since I'm the only one in the family right now that can do laundry (the boys are too young and C turned a pair of white shorts pink years ago), I do 1 load a day. I wash it, fold and put it away. Unless we've come back from a trip or I've missed a few days, this generally works very well. I do my 1 load a day and it all usually gets done in 5-6 days. That leaves a spare day for bed linens!

flowerpot said...

Emilie Barnes (author) claimed to have her 3 year olds sorting laundry by color. I was impressed and because of her, I have seen that kids really can sort and do laundry. It's not that hard. My daughter has been able to do laundry since she was 9 and could probably have done it much earlier.