Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gettin’ Political

SANY1480_edited I’m not generally a political creature.  I’m a lifelong conservative (we’ll ignore a few months in college, OK?).  I vote.  I occasionally email my representatives (and get back nice little form letters).  I put signs in my yard.  But, that’s about it.  So yesterday’s attendance at the TEA (Taxed Enough Already) Party in Appleton was a bit of a departure for me.

SANY1486 Why go?  Well, as the name of the rally suggests, I believe we are taxed enough.  Of course, unlike the original Boston Tea Party, this time around we have elected representative.  But, they don’t seem to be paying much attention to what we are telling them to do.  This rally was a reminder.  As the speakers at the rally reiterated, our officials are elected by the people of this country, so we need to vote, get our friends and neighbors to vote conservative, and get more conservative candidates to run for office.

SANY1488 Another reason to go was to exercise our freedoms of association and speech as enumeration in the Bill of Rights.  I also wanted my kids to see these freedoms in action.  It was great to be among several hundred (if not a thousand) people who wanted to make their opinions known to the government.  We listened to several speeches, all of which exhorted us to take legal and peaceful action.  It was a good experience all the way around.

No comments: