Friday, April 17, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday – April 17, 2009

7_quick_takes_sm

1. In spelling, I asked Wild Man to spell the word “yawn”.  He got it right, so I asked how he knew that it had an “aw” in the middle instead of an “au”.  He said, “Because there’s a Pokemon attack called Yawn.”  Well, there’s no rule about which one to use in this word and he just had to use the one that he recognized as correct, so I guess that Pokemon is as good a mnemonic as any!  (He also remembers how to spell “hawk” from the Paper Mario video game.)

2. Ga’hoole Girl has been going to the middle school track practice faithfully for two and a half weeks now.  The team’s first meet is next Tuesday and Ga’hoole Girl will be competing in shotput and the 400 meter relay.  The coaches will decide if she’s also going to do the 200 meter relay, but she doesn’t really think so since her 200 meter times aren’t real great.  So far, shotput has been her thing, though.

3. Ga’hoole Girl has also been faithfully practicing her wicked hard piano pieces.  Today, she actually got through them without mistakes!!  The festival is next weekend!

4. We got Wild Man signed up for summer baseball.  He’s doing the night-time city league which is a game once a week and a practice once a week.  He is also signed up for a daytime traveling team which will play other teams in the area.  That team plays twice a week and practices three times a week.  He’s going to be a busy boy!

5. I’ve got another migraine today and was feeling really bummed that it’s so nice outside when I feel so rotten.  Then, I decided that it’s actually nice that the weather is good today because we can open up all the windows even if I don’t feel like going out for a long walk or anything like that.  Attitude is everything!

6. I made roast beef, rice, and gravy last night for dinner.  The cool thing is that I made the gravy with rice flour so it was gluten-free.  The texture was a little different (but not bad) than regular wheat flour gravy, but the taste was just as good!

7. I’m listening to the book The Help on audiobook.  I’m really loving it so far.

Check out Jennifer’s blog for more great 7 Quick Takes Friday posts.

1 comment:

At A Hen's Pace said...

Hi Catherine!

I dropped by because you identified yourself on one of my posts as a fellow homeschooling Wisconsinite. That was several weeks ago, and I am just now responding... Nice to meet you!

~Jeanne