Tuesday, December 09, 2008

SNOW

  • snow /snoʊ/ [snoh] –noun 1.Meteorology. a precipitation in the form of ice crystals, mainly of intricately branched, hexagonal form and often agglomerated into snowflakes, formed directly from the freezing of the water vapor in the air. From Dictionary.com

  • My kids love the song "Snow" from "White Christmas". That's the song that the characters sing while on the train on the way to Vermont.

  • So far, we have a good 6 inches outside today and it's still snowing.

  • Snow ice cream - snow and condensed milk - isn't quite as good as I thought it would be.

  • Snowstorms are really quiet. In a rainstorm, there is the sound of the rain hitting the ground, thunder, and wind. In a snowstorm, the only sound is the wind, and it gets muffled by the snow itself.

  • Cardinals look really bright against the snow.

  • Since we homeschool, we don't have snow days like the public schools. But, we don't do as much on really snowy days because the kids want to go play in the snow.

  • Snow crunches. I never understood this since I grew up in South Florida. I remember reading in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe how the snow crunched like mothballs, but that didn't make sense to me since I wasn't familiar with mothballs or snow. Since we moved up here, though, I have decided that I love the crunchy feeling of the snow under my feet.

  • When I was a kid, I remember a few snow flakes on morning when I was about seven years old. The first "real" snow I saw was in early February, 1988 at LSU. No one went to class that afternoon because it snowed about an inch. People even made little snowmen, but they were really more like mudmen because there was so much dirt in the snow! Now that I live in The Great White North, I see lots of snow every year, but it is still magical.

  • When I was a kid, my mom would drive us to the bus stop whenever the temperature was below about 45 degrees so that we wouldn't have to wait in the cold. Where I live now, the kids walk to school in just about any weather.

1 comment:

Laurin (@LaurinEvans) said...

I remember snow ice cream from growing up in Mississippi, where it snowed once a year. No chance of snow for me here in the Tampa area. :(