Friday, December 05, 2008

Heart of the Matter Meme - December 5, 2008

HOTMSidebar The Heart of the Matter Meme topic today:

How does your family celebrate? What are your favorite holiday links? Do you teach your kiddos about the other holidays? Do you take December off from schooling? Imagine that this is a unit study–share your past and present holiday ideas with everyone else.

I've already shared about some of our holiday traditions, so I think I'll write today about schooling in December.

When Mr. Math Tutor was doing the schooling, December was a pretty skeletal month as far as school goes.  I was working, and he was doing a lot of stuff at church during the month.  Things are a little different now that I'm the "schoolmarm".  Last year, we did a "Christmas Unit" where we studied traditions from different parts of the world.  Unfortunately, we didn't get done quite as much as I would have liked, but it was fun.

This year, Ga'hoole Girl requested that we suspend Sonlight and do another Christmas unit study, but I didn't have time to put anything together, so I declined.  Instead, we are doing Sonlight, but without some of the "bells and whistles" that I usually like to add.  (Of course, I've had so many headaches this week, that we never actually got to the Sonlight stuff!)  My goal is for them each do to math and some kind of reading each day and then add in science and Sonlight when we can.

We are doing lots of crafts this year, which are educational even if they don't "fit" into the curriculum.  I've been impressed at watching the kids' persistence in making some of their items.  Of course, since some of my family reads this blog, I can't tell you specifics of what they're making till after Christmas, but suffice it to say that they are really cool gifts.  We are planning to do a gingerbread church next week.  Almost 20 years ago, I bought a book with lots of different structures to make from gingerbread, and I have never used it.  This year, though, we are going to tackle the "Victorian Church".  It's a pretty simple pattern, but it does have stained glass windows that we make with hard candy.  I'm planning for that project to take us at least a week.

So, what are you doing with your kids this holiday season?  Check out Heart of the Matter Online to see the December activities of other families!

 

 

No comments: