Monday, December 08, 2008

Monday Musings - December 8, 2008

I'm sitting in my computer/sun room watching the snow from the winter storm.  And, yes, my head is starting to ache.  A month or so ago, I was having fewer headaches and being downright productive.  The last two weeks, though, have been pretty bad on the headache front.  I have used 9 Imitrex in three weeks.  Some good news, though, is that Imitrex is now available as generic sumatriptan.  The bad news is that 9 tablets are still $213 (compared to $230 a couple of weeks ago).  I hope the price comes down soon.

One of my new favorite verses is Isaiah 30:15 - "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel says: In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength . . ."  The context is that God is telling Israel  that He wanted to do good things for them, but they rejected Him.    Here is the entire passage:

15 This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:
"In repentance and rest is your salvation,in quietness and trust is your strength,but you would have none of it. 16 You said, 'No, we will flee on horses.'Therefore you will flee!You said, 'We will ride off on swift horses.'Therefore your pursuers will be swift! 17 A thousand will flee at the threat of one;at the threat of five you will all flee away,till you are left like a flagstaff on a mountaintop,like a banner on a hill."
18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;he rises to show you compassion.For the LORD is a God of justice.Blessed are all who wait for him!

Our salvation is in repentance, turning away from our sin, and rest, allowing God to give us our salvation.  This is not being passive, though.  When I repent of something, I have to turn completely around and go the correct direction.  We think of rest as not doing something, but yet rest often requires some effort.  Resting in God means that I have to consciously turn my thoughts from my own plans and trust in God for provision.

Quietness is something that is hard to come by in our culture.  There is always noise somewhere (especially in MY house!).  Even when we get rid of the external noise, we then need to get quiet in our spirit, which is much harder to do.  I seem to always have a running to-do list going in my head.  That's what needs to be quieted to really hear from God.  It seems that the only way I can really get quiet before God is to meditate on Scripture. 

Trusting in God sounds easy, but I sometimes find it rather difficult.  I have always liked to be in charge - probably why I went in to medicine!  The fact is that we really aren't in charge, even when we think we are.  Trust is really an acknowledgement that God is in control and submission to His plan.  Trusting God in the middle of a migraine is tough.  It does seem to be a little easier when I meditate on Scripture like this.

Even in the middle of my pain, the Bible is clear that God loves me.  When I rest in God, He gives me strength to get through each day.  And it is this strength that allows me to smile even in pain, to love my kids whether they are behaving or being difficult, and to support Mr. Math Tutor in his tutoring or work at church.  God is truly good.

What do you think of when you read this verse?  How do you rest in the Lord?  How has God given you strength?

    

No comments: