Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Christmas Meme

DSCN0022 I've come across variations on this meme on blogs and emails, so I decided to participate in blog form.  If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged.  I came across it on the Treasured Chapters blog (a good blog, by the way).

1. Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags? Usually wrapping paper, but I do reuse gift bags that I get from other people.  Christmas morning would not be the same, though, without kids tearing in to wrapped presents!

2. Real or Artificial Tree? Artificial.  We used to get a live tree every year, but it really became too much hassle to deal with.  It's also a real pain to get a snowy tree into the house without making a complete disaster.  About five years ago, we bought a small (4 foot) tree from Hobby Lobby that was already lit.  It is perfect!  Of course, last year, the lights quit working, so Mr. Math Tutor took them all off and now we have to string lights, but it's not a big deal because it's a small tree.  Also, we put the tree on a small table, so it's easy to see and there's room for a Nativity set and/or gifts underneath.

3. When do you put up the tree?  Usually Thanksgiving night or the day after Thanksgiving.

4. When do you take the tree down?  As soon after the first of the year that someone gets up enough energy to start.

5. Do you like eggnog?  No.  But, Mr. Math Tutor is a huge fan.  The kids also like it pretty well.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?  Tough one.  I really liked the "Baby Alive" I got when I was small, but my brother and I also got skateboards one year which was pretty cool.

7. Hardest person to buy for?  Mr. Math Tutor.  It's kind of good because he's not really materialistic, but the few things he does want are pretty pricey (like a new laptop - and, no, that's not what I'm getting him).

8. Easiest person to buy for?  Kids.  They make a list well before Thanksgiving and then are kind enough to let us know any changes throughout the season.

9. Do you have a Nativity set?  Do I have a Nativity?  Do I have a Nativity?  Let me tell you about my Nativity sets!  Actually, I did that last year.  The short version - I collect Nativity sets and now have a grand total of 14.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?  Mail.  But, I'm not sure I'll get around to it this year.  If you normally get a Christmas card from me, just know that a lack of a card this year is not because I don't love you, but because I'm generally overwhelmed with life.

11. Worst Christmas present?  A golf bag.  I'll spare you the story.  Let's just say that thinking about it brings me and my mother to tears.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?  Either "It's a Wonderful Life" or "Miracle on 34th Street".

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Um, usually August or September when the craft fairs start.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?  No

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?  Gingerbread, chocolate

16. Lights on the tree?  White this year, but we've had colored ones other years.  I'm actually not real picky.

17. Favorite Christmas song?  Pretty much any traditional Christmas Carol, "Mary, Did You Know?" by Kenny Rogers, "When Love Came Down" by Point of Grace

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?  We're staying home this year, but we have at times traveled to my parents' house.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, and Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph.  Someone tell me if I'm right!

20. Angel or star on the top of the tree?  Star.  Since I've been married, we've always had a star on the top of the tree.  The one we use now is about eight years old and really sparkly.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?  Christmas morning.  We do let the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve, though.  Can you imagine opening all your gifts in the evening and then having to go to bed?  And, my kids would pester us all day to get to gift opening time.  I like that we get up and do presents first thing in the morning!

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?  The unrealistic expectations we place upon ourselves.  If I can't keep a clean house and school the kids the rest of the year, what makes me think I can clean house, school kids, make crafts, and bake during the month of December.

23. Favorite ornament? I bought a beautiful bell ornament in Blowing Rock, NC about 11 years ago.  I also have a cute set of penguin ornaments that I bought in college - my roommate from college also bought a set at the same time.  I hope she still has hers.  And, of course, I love anything my kids have made.

24. Favorite Christmas story or book?  Letters from Father Christmas by Tolkein, A Christmas Carol by Dickens, and The Christmas Miracle of Johathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski.

25. Favorite Christmas tradition?  That's a tough one.  I love the Christmas season and almost all the traditions that we have.  My favorites are probably our Christmas reading and baking.

No comments: