Today's "Heart of the Matter" meme is how we incorporate our extended family into our homeschool. We live in The Great White North while the grandparents all live in Florida so they don't get to be involved in the day to day workings of our homeschooling. There are, though, some things that we can do with extended family that are educational.
- The kids send emails to the grandparents. This gives the kids writing practice as well as letting the grandparents know what is going on around here.
- Grandma teaches the kids to sew when she visits. She also has taken them on a trip to Door County, which was educational as well as fun.
- Grams and Grandpa have some land in Mississippi that includes a pond, so we go fishing and play in the woods when we visit them there.
- Grams and Grandpa have taken the kids on educational day trips when we visit them in Florida.
- Grams cooks with the kids whenever they get together.
- Last year, we made our trip to Mississippi a quest, and got Grams and Grandpa to set up the end of the quest for us.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the other participants in this meme have to say and maybe getting some new ideas! Check out Heart of the Matter Online for more responses.