Monday, December 29, 2008

More on the Migraine Saga

Well, my headaches haven't really changed much.  I will sometimes have 2 or even 3 weeks with just a few bad migraines but that is often followed by a week or two of almost non-stop migraines.  I did recently try using high-dose oxygen for acute migraines.  I was quite hopeful about this since it is far less expensive and has fewer side effects than Imitrex.  But, it didn't work.  I may have gotten a little bit of relief, but it was minor, at best.  I can't say I'm all that surprised (although I was hopeful) since the literature suggests that normobaric oxygen works for cluster headaches, but hyperbaric oxygen might help some people with migraines.  But, it's not like we can put a bari-chamber in our house!

I recently purchased an ice pack for my head from Amazon.  I was frustrated that I couldn't get my ice packs to stay where I wanted on my head, so I did a search and found that someone has actually invented an ice pack that fits like a cap on my head.  It's soooooo nice.  I can sit and read or knit while my head is being cooled.  (BTW, I look cuter than this guy when I have the ice pack on!!)

The last couple of weeks have been pretty bad on the migraine front.  I've been a little frustrated by it, but I managed to go to Christmas Eve service and have lots of fun on Christmas Day.  We recently got a family membership to a local health club, so Mr. Math Tutor and I have been getting our weight training programs set up.  I missed my appointment with my trainer today because of a migraine.  The health club also has a pool, and I've told the kids I'll try to take them once a week so they can swim.  I've been on the treadmill almost every day, in spite of the headaches, for about three weeks now.  This may or may not help with migraines, but I know that exercise will help me feel better in other ways.

We are going to Winter Camp this weekend.  I'm really glad I've been exercising because I'm looking forward to cross-country skiing!  Ga'hoole Girl is becoming something of an ice skater these days, so she's excited to try out their outdoor rink.  Wild Man and I are also anticipating the tube run - we ride down a really long hill in an inner tube, ending on a frozen lake.  It's super fun!!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine, would you be willing to share your experience with Botox for migraines with our readers? We would appreciate your perspective as a physician very much.
http://www.realself.com/node/add/treatment-review/25

Thanks!!
Eva
Editor, RealSelf.com