Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Persistence of Pain

I’ve got a migraine again today.  I’ve got a headache of some severity almost all the time.  I would have thought that I’d be used to the pain by now.  But I’m not.

The human body can get used to a lot of things, but we just can’t completely block out pain.  I use relaxation and distraction techniques to try to get my brain to focus elsewhere.  Despite all that, the pain continues to intrude.

And the migraines just stop me in my tracks.  No matter what.  Today was actually pretty good since I was able to go to the Nutrition Center for an hour before things got too bad.  But, I’ve been useless for the rest of the day.  Every time I get up to move around, my head starts to pound.  So, I’m back to my rocking chair.  Because I don’t want to feel more pain and I really don’t want it to progress to nausea.

I just wish I could push this to the back of my mind and forget about it.  But it refuses to be put aside.  It’s persistent and intrusive.  Pain doesn’t really care that I planned to cook stir-fry for Wild Man tonight or that I hope to take Rosie Girl shopping tomorrow.  My headaches aren’t interested in my schedule.  They show up and take precedence over everything else.

Tonight I will be quiet and listen to a book and knit, probably with an ice pack on my head.  Then I will do my biofeedback while listening to Bach.  And, hopefully, I can sleep and wake up without a headache.  I hope.

No comments: