It’s a rainy, icky Friday afternoon here in the Upper Midwest which means it’s time for 7 Quick Takes Friday!
1. We are part of a CSA (community supported agriculture) this year, so in a week or two we will start getting a box of produce from a local farm every week filled with our share of whatever they harvested that week. I’m excited but nervous at the same time. I’m not much of a veggie eater, so I’m going to have to/get to try lots of new stuff. I hear that we get beets early on, so Rosie Girl and I are going to try making borscht.
2. Speaking of veggies, I ate fennel this week. The first time I had it, we just shaved it on our salads. I could definitely taste the mild licorice-like flavor to it, but it wasn’t over-powering. Last night, PWM roasted it in the oven. Yummy!!
3. I painted my nails this week. I have no idea why. I haven’t had painted nails since my third year of medical school because you can’t have polished nails when you are in the operating room and I have been in a position where I could have been called in to emergency surgery from the time I was in third year medical school until I quit working (five years ago). So, I now have light blue fingernails.
4. Wild Man told me yesterday that I was scaring him. First I ate a new vegetable and then I painted my nails. What else am I going to do while he’s gone??
5. We totally LOVE Jungle Jam!! We used to own a bunch of the CDs, but they have almost all gotten lost or scratched. I downloaded a new episode tonight and it was as funny as the originals. Instead of buying new CDs, I’m going to buy the episodes that I want and download them – they’re cheaper that way and we can just burn the episodes we want for driving to camp. BTW, if you haven’t listened to Jungle Jam, you should download one episode to check it out (they’re only $3.95). They’re hysterical for kids and adults alike.
6. We got a water softener this week!! I never thought I’d be so excited about a water softener, but scrubbing the bathtub last week was seriously un-fun. Not only that, but we’ve been having to clean tons of lime scale from our dishwasher. I don’t like the taste of the water nearly as much, but we won’t go through nearly as much vinegar now!!
7. Rosie Girl and I played Set together today and she whupped me!! I love playing Set, but the Topamax I’m taking has slowed my thinking so much that I wasn’t much competition at all for her. Normally, she and I are pretty equally matched. Not so right now!
Check out what others are up to at 7 Quick Takes Friday!