Monday, May 19, 2008

Music while working

I just checked on Wild Man who is working on math on the computer. He is working on ALEKS, his math curriculum, and also has a Steven Curtis Chapman CD playing. I recall being told when I was younger that kids should study in a quiet environment. I have found, though, that this is not the most helpful for my kids. They both do quite well when music of some kind is playing. I have played classical music at times for them, but they now use their mp3 players to choose their own music and listen with headphones. Not only do they get to listen to the music they want, but they can drown out any other sounds which is great since Wild Man can't do anything quietly! Mr. Math Teacher also uses this idea in his classroom. When his students are working independently, he lets them have their mp3 players (with headphones, of course). The more that I get away from the "school" way of doing things and loosen up, the happier we all are.

No comments: