Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cooking Class

Both my kids have become big fans of the Food Network, particularly Good Eats, Ace of Cakes, and Iron Chef America. On some recent Good Eats episodes, Alton Brown made French Onion Soup and Salsa (different foods, different episodes). Ga'Hoole Girl and I have been dying to try out those recipes, so Mr. Math Teacher and I just got back from the store with the ingredients that we need along with some crocks for the soup. We couldn't find a dried Ancho Chile, though. I don't even know what it is. Besides, we live in a small town - even the big grocery store doesn't carry exotic stuff. The soup also called for a splash of cognac as an optional ingredient, but at $15 for a really tiny bottle, we decided to pass on that. It sounds like a cooking week around this house!

2 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Goodness, you've been chatty!! Hooray!! I enjoy hearing about you and your kids.

What a great idea to use the Food Network as cooking classes! Over here we only have the BBC cooking channel, so it's a little different - no Alton Brown, no Rachel Ray, NO PAULA DEEN!!! But still I bet I could find something that my daughter would give a try to. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about the chile----it's probably hot anyway. If you try the salsa recipe (I assume from fresh ingredients), let me know how you like it and email it to me. We LOVE to eat fresh salsa during the summer from the veggies in our garden. It's soooo much better than the jarred stuff. I generally use Roma tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and a mix of herbs and spices. I tried canning the year before last and it wasn't good at all. You have to use a certain amount of vinegar to accomodate the acidity of the tomato and it made the salsa "vinegary"---yuck! Also, if the french onion soup turns out well, I would be interested in that recipe as well. C LOVES french onion soup!