Sunday, May 25, 2008

Materialism (or Be Careful What You Pray For)

About three years ago, I began to pray that God would help me deal with my materialistic tendencies. The thing is that I like my stuff. I liked living in a big house with nice cars and nice toys. But, God began to show me that I was thinking more about my stuff than I was about Him or about other people. So, I began to pray. And God answered my prayer. I don't have my great job anymore; I live in a small house; I don't get to buy near as many toys.

This post is not supposed to be a downer, though. God has been incredibly good to us in the last three years. I don't feel bad about having less stuff than I used to have. What is really cool, though, is to see my kids' attitudes. Yes, they still like to get things. (Ga'Hoole Girl is very happy about the laptop that Mr. Math Teacher and I helped her buy.) But, they are getting past a lot of our materialistic tendencies as well. We went to the city yesterday and spent less than $100 (dance recital costume, 2 books, and birthday present for a friend from Goodwill, sneakers for Wild Man from Target, and Crocs for me from Younkers). The kids were saying on the way home how we won't go shopping again for a year because we got soooooo much stuff yesterday. What a change from five years ago - in action and attitude!

P.S. I do love my Crocs. I got teal so they're really bright and fun. And they are so comfortable!

No comments: