Sunday, May 18, 2008

Flower update 5/19

Well, they're not all alive, but more are alive than not. The petunias are going strong. The basil is a little puny, but not in too bad a shape. I'm pretty sure we're going to lose the marigolds, but they were planted in a barrel with terrible soil that drains very quickly. I think I just need to get rid of the barrel. The pansies and violets are kind of iffy, but still hanging in there. We thought we would lose the chamomile, but it appears to be making a comeback. I'm quite pleased with how it's all going so far. We planted rather early, apparently, since it's been kind of a cold year. We haven't gotten any frost since we planted, but we have had some chilly nights. We'll see how it all goes over the next few weeks.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The flowers look beautiful! Mine do much better in the ground than in pots. Guess it must be the natural nutrients in the ground soil than the potting soil. A "secret" ingredient to put into a container when planting is a product called Soil Moist. We can buy it at our Ace Hardware stores here. Just put a little of the water soluble granules mixed in the soil and the plants get water regularly (without you doing it). When using Soil Moist, I only have to water every 4-5 days.

Also, another tip when using a large barrel or container is to put a plastic (or terra cotta) pot turned upside down in the center and place your rocks in the bottom (about an inch or two). This way you don't have to pay for soil that really isn't going to be used by the plant. It also helps the drainage.

I know you probably don't want to have to replant what you have but you could probably get a little bit of the Soil Moist down under the roots to help it out. It's kind of pricey but worth it because you don't really need to use much.

Hope that helps some. But everything looks great! Every gardener has had failures and successes. I have definitely had my share of both. I keep a log of when I plant each pot, when I harvest it, what bugs/diseases attacks it, etc. I have found this to be helpful when gardening year to year because I'm able to ward off previous problems by preparing better the upcoming year. Oh- and don't forget Miracle Gro. That stuff works wonders. Just make sure to not overdo it! Keep the pictures coming----tell the kids they're doing great!!!! (and I'm proud of them)