Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mini-Reviews–November 16, 2013

I’m going to take the chance today to give some mini-reviews of some books, movies, and productions I’ve experienced recently.

Carousel – PWM and I saw this last night at UWSP. Unfortunately, tonight was its last showing, so you’re out of luck to see this particular musical. What I can say, though, is that this was a really well-done show and I anticipate that any other musicals are also quite good. I didn’t think the ending was really strong, but that was the fault of the play itself (and how dare I criticize Rogers and Hammerstein?!) and not the performers. The cast was excellent. The vocal leads were quite strong. The two dancers who performed the ballet were exquisite. PWM and I thought it was an excellent night out and well worth the drive.

Blood and Beauty – by Sarah Dunant. I listened to this fictionalized account of the Borgia family on audio. It’s rather long, so it took me over a month of rather intermittent listening, but it was interesting enough to keep me coming back for more. Obviously, the author had to take some liberties with the history in places where the actual events are in question. But, she did a good job in keeping true to the characters’ personalities as she had drawn them. A

The Challenger Disaster – We watched this movie on the Discovery channel tonight and found it fascinating. PWM loves the popular work of Dr. Richard Feynman. This show was about the commission that investigated the Challenger disaster from the point of view of Dr. Richard Feynman, the one truly independent person on the panel. It was enlightening (and distressing) to see how all the parties involved were trying to cover up any possible problems by their own agencies instead of actually getting down to the real problem. I highly recommend watching this. It should still be available to watch over the next few days on Discovery Channel or Science Channel.

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin – I may have already reviewed this somewhere. In any case, I got started reading this because Rosie Girl has been reading it and watching the DVD. I’ve decided that the book is plenty explicit about violence and sexuality and I don’t really need to see the DVD. But, the book is a wide-ranging, medieval-type fantasy story that is fun and fascinating. I really enjoyed it. A

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin – By the time we get to the end of this book, the few beginning plot ropes have unraveled into tiny little plot threads that are spread all over Westeros and even into the Summer Lands. And we start to get a little magic in the mix just to keep life interesting. And I’m still enjoying the read. A

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin – Nothing happens simply in this story. Just when you think that this person might make it to their destination, a band of outlaws catches them and takes them somewhere else. Just when you’re sure someone is dead, you find out that they’re not. I’m starting to feel like my brain is being whipped around like a tether ball or something. I’m only halfway through, so I’ll rate it when I’m done.

Monsters U – This was available on Pay-per-View the other day and it was truly worth it. It was fun and made us laugh and played on every college stereotype I remember. I very much recommend this movie. A

That’s what’s been up with us. Any movies, books, TV shows, etc. that you’d recommend? I’m all ears!!

No comments: