Friday, November 15, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday–November 15, 2013

7_quick_takes_sm 

Whew! I made it to Friday! Somewhere around Wednesday morning, I wasn’t quite sure. This has been quite the week. Now I’ve just got a migraine hangover and I’m super-tired. Here’s the 7 Quick Takes for this week:

1. Wild Man is playing electric guitar for Christmas Eve service this year. The big piece that they’re doing is a Trans-Siberia Orchestra piece. I’m sure I’ll be bragging on him more as the Christmas season gets underway. In the meantime, I get to hear lots and lots of practice.

2. Next Friday night, we get to hear the Choral Union and Concert Choir from UWSP perform Mozart’s Requiem! This is especially exciting because Rosie Girl is in the Choral Union.

3. Delivering babies was one of my favorite jobs as a family doctor. The thing I didn’t like was complications, like when a baby got stuck and we had to intervene to get the baby out of the birth canal. Here’s a great article about a new invention by an auto mechanic (!) to help get babies out who are stuck with fewer complications. And, it sounds like it will be great for use in low-resource locations!

4. How do you know what to say to someone who is ill? Or what to say to the caregiver? How do you deal with your own emotions while being sensitive to their emotions? This article gives a great graphic about how we can do that. Everyone should read it.

5. I really love 19th century romance novels, particularly Jane Austen novels. Thankfully, I discovered them after I was married, so I wasn’t tempted to use them as dating manuals. This woman shows why 19th century romance novels are terrible guides to finding a man.

6. Have you seen this? It’s a comic about a year in the life of a parent and is adorable. You have got to click on that link.

7. It’s pretty chilly here. Time to make soup! Particularly tomato soup!! We have a big ham bone so I can make the stock. I am debating whether or not to make it before or after Thanksgiving. I’ll probably make it after Thanksgiving since Wild Man has a bunch of performances and soup will make for easy dinners.

So, what’s up with you? Check out 7 Quick Takes Friday to see how others are doing this weekend?

No comments: