Friday, November 07, 2008

A Really Bad Day

Actually, it was Ga'hoole Girl's really bad day today. She has been sick since Tuesday with a sore throat and fever. We went to the clinic Wednesday and had a strep test done which was negative. Since she wasn't getting any better, I took her back today. I haven't been able to get a good look into her throat since we don't have a good flashlight here, but I figured that things couldn't be good if she still had a fever. Well, the PA we saw was pretty impressed at how bad her tonsils looked! I took a look as well and was also impressed (or distressed). Both tonsils were red, inflamed, and covered with pus. The left side actually is almost abscessed. EEK!

That wasn't the really bad part, though. The PA had her tested for mono, which requires a blood draw, and then gave her a shot of Rocephin (in the tush). Ga'hoole Girl was highly unimpressed with the proceedings, but I agreed with the PA that these were necessary interventions. She has prednisone and Zithromax to take for a couple of days here at home.

The good news is that today's bad day should be followed by some improvement since she's getting plenty of meds. And, I now have a good flashlight so I can keep an eye on her tonsils to make sure they improve!


No comments: