Monday, October 29, 2012

More Migraine Fun

And fun it was! I had a headache ranging from a 5/10 to a 7/10 so I was happy to start my 3 days of iv medications today. Rosie Girl drove me to the neurology office. I was the only one getting meds for the first couple of hours, so they let her have the recliner next to me.

The first really fun thing was that the first iv attempt infiltrated. Ack! I hate needles. But, the nurse was very nice and had the phlebotomist come for the second – and successful – attempt. Then, I got Reglan to prevent nausea from the D.H.E. It kept me from actually vomiting, but the D.H.E. actually made the headache temporarily worse and made me quite nauseous. Thankfully, the Reglan kept me from actually vomiting.

That was the worst of the afternoon. I then got dexamethasone (a steroid), Depacon (a seizure medication), and some magnesium. We wrapped things up with thirty minutes of straight iv fluids, just to make sure I’d need a bathroom nearby for several hours, I guess! But, by the time we were done, my headache was down to a 3/10. I do have some interesting side effects like jitteriness and heartburn, but since the meds were iv, I expect they’ll only last a day or so.

We get to do the same thing tomorrow and the next day. Yippee! I feel like we’re at least doing something – and I feel better now than I did this morning. I really hope we can calm down the headaches enough for me to do my physical therapy exercises and get all this muscle strain in my neck to relax. Then we can really deal with the migraines.

So, that’s what’s up in my little corner of the world.

No comments: