Friday, October 03, 2008

Unexpected Education - Heart of the Matter Online 10/3/08



Today's Heart of the Matter meme is asking what I have learned from homeschooling that I didn't expect to learn. My kids have never gone to school, but their dad was the homeschooling parent until 2 1/2 years ago. Now, he's building up a tutoring business and I have taken over the education responsibilities. And, it has been an education on my part!!

1. Wild Man, my auditory learner, can listen to a book while still playing Legos.
2. Ga'hoole Girl, who memorizes everything, can tell you where in the Harry Potter books to find almost anything and is still upset that Hermione wore a pink dress in the "Goblet of Fire" movie instead of the blue dress as described in the book.
3. Wild Man and Mr. Math Tutor are very much alike. They aren't big on details and quite often need a list in order to not forget things. They are both big problem solvers.
4. Spending all day, every day, with the kids is harder than I gave Mr. Math Tutor credit for when he was schooling.
5. I love the relaxed pace of our lives - which is unusual because I thought I would be a highly structured schooling parent (but the headaches pretty well nixed that!).
6. The kids are always learning - from our read-aloud books, to cooking, to learning to roller blade.

Check out Heart of the Matter Online to see what other great homeschool parents are saying about what they have learned in their schooling experience.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for visiting my site and for sharing! I enjoyed looking around your blog!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Aah, yes, Legos and listening go hand in hand around here, too!