Friday, October 10, 2008
Educational Freebie Sites - Heart of the Matter Meme October 10, 2008
Now that ya'll have all calmed down about seeing my article on the Homeschool Classroom blog, it's time for the weekly Heart of the Matter Online meme. Today's theme is about our favorite homeschool freebie sites. This one is a little tough for me. My kids are past the ages of reading help sites like Starfall. They do their math online at ALEKS, but it's not free. But, I did come up with several site that I find helpful in our studies.
1. Wikipedia - I don't let the kids cite Wikipedia as a source in papers, but it is a great place to start to find information on a topic.
2. Dictionary.com - When we are reading out loud, this is an invaluable resource.
3. The Met Museum Online Timeline of Art - We use this to look at artworks from various time periods.
4. National Gallery of Art Kids - Ga'hoole Girl just loves this site. Kids get to explore art as well as create their own masterpieces.
5. National Geographic Online - Always a good resource for science stuff.
6. Discovery Channel Online - The home of Mythbusters!! Need I say more?
7. Hyperhistory - A site with lots of timelines. It can be overwhelming and I mostly use it to get myself oriented to what we are studying.
Check out Heart of the Matter Online for more great ideas from other homeschooling families!