Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wants/Needs - Praying vs. Seeking God

So, I'm reading along on one of my favorite websites (Christianity Today) and I come up on a reminder that we are to seek God (Matthew 6:33), not just pray for stuff. Wow. That hit hard. I've been so concerned lately about all the things that need to happen - the house selling, my disability insurance coming through, etc. - that I've almost forgotten to just be with God. We're told to seek God, but we don't have to look hard. He comes looking for us and is in love with us (John 3:16). So, the moral of this story is to spend more time just being with God and meditating on His love and studying Scripture before I get to the asking for what I want/need. I know He's interested in answering prayer. But, my anxiety level will be much better with more time spent in God's presence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I can relate!!!! When things get hectic, we have the tendency to pray for lots of things and not spend time in God's word! I did a wonderful Bible Study by Priscilla Shirer this past fall called He Speaks To Me (I highly recommend this). One of the biggest things I learned from that study is that we have to BE STILL to hear the Lord speak to us; otherwise we'll miss what He says to us! I believe the Lord spoke to you when you read that verse and you were still enough to listen! One of things I really try to do at least 4-5 days out of the week is spend time in God's word, doing some sort of Bible study, whether it's formal or informal (I have to do this first thing in the morning or early afternoon). This summer I'm going to do an in-depth study of John and Revelation as well as a Bible Study book that was recommended to me, The Power of a Positive Mom. It's these constant studies that have really helped me to meet with the Lord, grow spiritually, hear Him speak to me, and focus on Him (and not the busyness of everyday life). It's hard to be disciplined about it but I've been so blessed through the daily studies I've done that I can't imagine NOT doing them! I hope this maybe gives you inspiration to do some sort of in-depth study! I think Curtis will be the study of John with me too! That will be fun! We're praying for all of you! Kimberly