Wednesday, May 03, 2006

May 3

Woke up today at 6 with a migraine. It pretty much took up my entire day. P left for work at 7 and the kids got up about 8. They got their own breakfast and I was able to get them doing most of their schoolwork on their own. By 10, the headache was up to a 7 (out of 10 in intensity), so I took more meds and laid down with an icepack on my head. I slept until about noon. After lunch, I had to help get the kids' schoolwork finished, but the headache wasn't too bad by then.

I napped off and on during the afternoon. My biggest issue this afternoon was trying to get L (age 10) to start writing a paragraph. She was really happy yesterday when I had her get started by idea webbing (the artists' version of outlining) and I gave her a topic from Harry Potter (her current passion - don't worry, she's not casting any spells). Today, though, when it came time to write down sentences to make a rough draft, she fell completely apart. It was mid-afternoon, though, and she was crying, and I was getting close, so I told her we'll try again in the morning. I think I have to get her to write down anything, even if it's wrong. She's such a perfectionist that she doesn't want to write a sentence unless it's correct. EEK! Tomorrow's going to be tough, I think.

The headache is pretty much gone, now. The trouble tonight will be going to sleep. My sleep during the day has been fragmented and shallow, so I do need a good night's sleep. We'll see what happens. Of course, the laundry and baking that I had planned for today didn't happen.

I am making my first attempt at bread baking tomorrow. I've baked bread before by hand, but a friend gave me her recipe using a large mixer (my Kitchen Aid) for the kneading. Not only is it something domestic that intrigues me, but it is much cheaper than buying bread from the store. I have been baking bread from frozen store-bought dough, and the kids have loved that so much more than regular bread. They will eat just bread and butter for breakfast sometimes. We'll see how the completely from scratch bread goes.

Well, I'm off to read and knit (not at the same time, of course). If I can find anything interesting on our few basic cable channels, then I'll knit. Otherwise, I'll be reading. More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More power to ya Catherine!!!! I've baked bread ONCE! Actually, I used my food processor to make wheat bread and it was really yummy! It was remarkably easy to make too! I'm just too lazy to do that all of the time! One thing that my parents used to do is go to the local discount bread store and buy whatever was on special that week. Then they would freeze it all and then just thaw out what they needed. My dad would get loaves of bread (he would buy the Lite since he's diabetic) for around 30-40 cents each, packages of the doughnuts for 50 cents, etc. This may be an option if the baking bread thing gets too tedious! Lots of people think that you can't freeze bread and have it taste good but my parents still do this (my mom does this with sourdough bread that her friend makes) and it all tastes the same to me (especially the sourdough)! Good luck!!!!! Hope the headaches subside and get better so you can give this a try today! Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Tell L that I have the same problem with writing. Maybe that runs in our family. I always have trouble starting a paper so I usually start in the middle. I like to start a file that I call 'notes' or 'random thoughts' and I just start writing ideas and thoughts. After I do that for a while, I go do something else and come back to it later. Then I start to cut and paste my random thoughts into something that makes sense. Perhaps she could start by listing what she likes about the topic and then what she doesn't like about it. Maybe something like that might help get her started.