Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I really hate migraines.

I really hate migraines. I like to think that I am an organized person, but migraines completely disrupt any order in my life. I woke up at 6am with a migraine. I took my meds and fell asleep on the sofa. I woke up when the kids were up and got them some cinnamon toast and chocolate milk and took more meds. I made up their cards of school assignments but only put on work that could be done independently or semi-independently. I slept off and on until 1:30 while the kids did schoolwork and had lunch. I didn't get started on the laundry until well after 2 (and there's lots to be done after this weekend!) and the kids schoolwork now has to be reorganized for the rest of the week.

But, our lives are not really organized right now anyway. Monday night, P and I were sitting on the sofa at about 9:15pm. He was working on the laptop and I was reading my book and had taken meds for a moderately bad migraine. A few minutes later, C came downstairs saying that he was unable to sleep. This has become a pretty common issue with him; either he is scared of the dark or he is having bad dreams. We usually let him sleep in our room (or downstairs with me if I have a headache). Then, L came downstairs because she couldn't sleep, although hers was more just insomnia. P went upstairs to bed since he has to be up so early in the am. I had both kids lie down to try to sleep. Around 10pm, I took some other meds and had a little cup of ice cream with them. L remembered that she hadn't eaten dinner and was still hungry (although she had managed to remember dessert). We had tacos for dinner, though, and I didn't want her having tacos at 10pm, so she found some cheese and frozen corn (she eats the corn right out of the freezer - still frozen - rather strange, if you ask me). C decided he was hungry too, so he had a graham cracker. 10pm, and we're up eating!! After our little (not quite) midnight snack, we tried sleeping again. C fell asleep quickly, L couldn't get comfortable on the floor and went back to her room. I was up reading and tending my headache until around midnight when I finally was able to sleep. I ended up sleeping late Tuesday am because of going to sleep so late.

This is not what I pictured parenting to be. I figured I would be one of those strict parents who doesn't put up with any of this nonsense about not wanting to sleep at night. But, with the selling the house, and planning to move, and Mom not working, and Dad starting to work, we're figuring C's entitled to a little neediness. And, there is something kind of "bonding" about being with my kids at these odd hours. Maybe it's kind of an affirmation that we're always together.

Why do I sleep downstairs when I get a headache? I have more pain when I lie flat when I have a migraine. I have to sleep propped up on pillows, and I haven't found a way to do that well in bed. It works best on the sofa. I haven't heard many other people say this about their headaches. So, maybe it's just me.

What a disorganized and roundabout post this is! Probably doesn't help that my head still hurts and I'm trying to get dinner on the table. More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a tough day and night! And personally, I think you're organized!!!! Just because things don't always go as planned doesn't mean that you're not organized----you still have the plan, it just got delayed a bit. You have your routines which help to keep you on track and not lose sight of what needs to be done. It will get done, eventually. You're being too hard on yourself!!!! And my mom likes to sleep propped up because of her sinuses. She has a Bed Rest Pillow from The Company Store.
But they also have a reading wedge which looks like it may work also.
She puts her favorite regular pillow up against the bed rest pillow so it's more comfortable. Maybe onw of these could be an option for you so you could sleep in your bed when the headaches get bad. And the frozen corn thing is odd but if it's a way L gets her veggies, so be it! I'm having to be creative----zuccini bread, pumpkin puree in chocolate cake, etc. I heard frozen marshamallows are good too but I've never tried it.