Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Buying and Selling Homes - More Difficult Than I Thought

I did not realize all the work that went into buying and selling homes. Call me naive, I suppose. The last two times that P and I went through this process, we were buying new homes and selling almost-new homes. I was also getting started in a new job both times, so P handled most of the real estate and moving issues. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I'm not sure it fits so well.

Yesterday was spent getting papers to the bank to get the financing approved. Today I spent the morning with the inspector at the home we are buying (interrupted by a trip to the library to keep the kids somewhat entertained). Unfortunately, there are some basement issues, so I have to make some calls tomorrow to have the basement checked out more thoroughly. Sounds like fun.

It was nice to be in the house again and to see where I want furniture to be, etc. The kids started planning which rooms they want (they agree, thankfully!) and how they want to arrange things. I picked up boxes from a friend this afternoon. Tonight, another friend came over and we packed 12 boxes of books and another 4 of puzzles. June 16 is coming fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The next few weeks will probably be hectic but nothing that you guys can't handle together! I'm sure it will all come together and after you're in your other new house, it will all be worth it! Keep the end in sight!!!! And as far as the marketing to teens, Curtis and I are very aware also of the things you were referring to. Marketers have even gone so far as to target our preschoolers for product branding and of course, indoctrination in our public schools. Since marketing was my field of college study, I know alot of the tactics that are used to reach a target audience. Subliminal advertising is making a HUGE wave in the marketing arena, especially to children and teens (because the marketers are trying to not make it obvious to the children or their parents). Curtis has read several books that have also heightened his awareness (Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian is one I know of). Toys are another BIG way marketers are trying to influence children with their product. Dave pointed out that a cash register put out by Learning Resources (a manufacturer of homeschooling products) has a credit card reader on it (which isn't necessarily bad because all cash registers nowadays have that). But what makes this one so bad is that the play credit card included with the register has a Citibank label on it! That raised my eyebrows big time! That's trying to tell my 4 year old that 1) credit cards are OK (which we don't think so) and 2) that Citibank is the "preferred" card! When a child who has played with this toy goes to college and sees a Citibank table sitting there, offering them a free T-shirt for signing up, they will easily be persuaded because they have a previous positive association with that brand (at least 50% of college students leave college with credit card debt). How clever! (but as you point out, parents have to be even more clever and realize where these opportunities are so they can protect their kids....but that takes education on their part). Another example is The Berenstein Bears cartoon----it primarily shows the daddy bear being the "clutz" or acting "dumb" while momma bear comes to the rescue----not a good message to be sending to our children (that males are less adequate than females although I'm sure the feminists would argue that one). There are subliminal messages in the cartoons and movies kids watch, books they read, games/toys they play......my gosh, where will it end????