Friday, May 05, 2006

May 5

Today was my first time going to the homeschool group meeting as a "real" homeschooling mom. Every other time that I've gone, I've kind of tagged along with P when he was schooling the kids. It was pretty good today. It helped that there were only two women that I didn't know. It also helped that I've been taking the kids to play practice, so I've been around a lot of the kids and moms in the last 6 weeks. They had a used book sale today, but I didn't buy anything because of budget constraints. I do love books, though, and was quite tempted by a number of them.

After lunch, the kids and I drove into "town", the nearest medium sized city, to go to Sams Club. After the bread-making issues yesterday, I needed to stock back up on flour, and the rest of my list was starting to grow. I had forgotten how big that store gets - my feet are sore. Before we left the house, I gave the kids (my 2 plus another) the usual lecture on begging for anything. I also reminded them that there was to be nothing that might make someone think that they should call social services on me (you know - "Mom, I'm STARVING, Mom I haven't eaten all day" - those kinds of things). So, the kids were trying to be very good. They decided that they were going to be helpful to the store employees and make sure that all the items on the shelves were turned the correct direction and in straight lines, etc. Well, they got a little too into their game, I think. I turned down an aisle to hear C say (with some authority), "This is unacceptable," as he reached down to turn bottles of juice so that the labels all faced the front. It was pretty funny, but I told the kids that they might want to be a little quieter in their game. I'm not sure what a store manager might think of the 8 year old taking over!

Over the last several days, a number of people have commented on P transition to the workplace. When the decision was made for me to quit work, P just moved right on with looking for work. A friend of ours commented that P has not had anything negative to say about the circumstances, nor has been bitter or angry about it. He just said "This is where God is taking us, so I'd better find work." He also was willing to take whatever work God gave him. If he had to work as a cashier to put food on our table, he was going to do that. More than one person has commented on his positive attitude about the whole thing. Even at home and in private, he has been far less anxious and more gracious than I have been. P really made the case for me to quit working. He pointed out that I was barely getting my part-time hours done, and I was coming home with nothing left for my family. Then, when the decision was made, P went out to find work. Now that he has a job, he is giving it everything he has. I am fretting far more than he is about the financial end of things, but P is calm and has faith that God is still in control. I am truly blessed to have such a husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a used bookstore nearby? If so, you can check into what their trade-in policy is. We have a great used bookstore in Powder Springs that gives 30% credit on the selling price (which is 50% of the retail price). So, for a book that has a retail price of $20, they sell it for $10 and I get a $3 credit. I've taken books from my moms house and our house and have accumulated over $100 worth of credit. They also take movies and CDs. With the credit, I can buy anything in the store. This way, it will help you declutter the stuff you don't want and buy some new books you do want (without costing you anything). And when Curtis first told me you were going to quit your job, I thought, GREAT! Maybe the headaches will go away! You've always gave to others before yourself and now it's time for you to take care of yourself first! There's a reason why everything happens in life and P realizes that this is just another part of God's plan----you are truly blessed to have such a supportive husband. I can't remember where I heard this but I think it's good: "How you handle yourself during the tough times shows your true character". I truly believe that the experiences and events we go through in life help to develop our character and that's what God is interested in the most!