Tuesday, May 02, 2006

10:10 and the dishes are done.

The definition of a perfect domestic day, I think, is to finish with the children educated and clean, and the dishes washed and the counters clean. The kids and I went to the library yesterday, so I picked up some books for late night perusing. One of them, Why Christianity Must Die or Change by John Shelby Spong has been very interesting, and I'm only on the first chapter. So far, he has gone through the Apostles' Creed and dismissed ever point as being beyond his (or any thinking person's) ability to believe. Well, he is certainly free to have that interpretation. However, he is (or was - he may be retired now) a bishop of the Episcopal Church in the US. I was under the impression that the Episcopal Church had some adherence to Scripture as the Word of God. I'll have more thoughts on this book later, I'm sure. Right now, my vote is that it's a well written piece of rubbish (sorry Mr. Spong). I, however, am firmly in the camp of those who can repeat the Apostle's Creed without apology or concern for my own credibility.

Another book that I'm reading, though, is quite entertaining, and I would encourage any of the 3 people that read this blog to get a copy and take a look. It is called Eats, Shoots and Leaves and is written by Lynne Truss, a Brit with a wonderful sense of humor. Believe it or not, this book is about punctuation. Being a homeschool mom, one might think that I would be crazy enough to read a book about punctuation. But, even as a homeschool mom, one would be hard pressed to think that I would frequently laugh out loud while reading it. Ms. Truss' approach to punctuation, grammar, and life itself is very entertaining. She manages to walk the fine line between taking punctuation too seriously and being downright silly and manages to come out at the end with the reader actually learning something about punctuation. The book is highly readable, as well: an important characteristic, I think.

Well, the kids and I have an exciting day of learning about China ahead of us tomorrow. Not to mention all the papers on my desk that have to be filed. So, more later.

No comments: