Monday, December 20, 2010

Living In The Moment

One thing that chronic illness has taught me is to live in the moment.  “Carpe diem!”  “Seize the day!”  Since I never know when a migraine is going to start, I take advantage of the time that I have without pain to really enjoy life.

This wasn’t always the case.  Until recently, when I felt pretty well, I would try to scurry around doing all the stuff I had wanted to do when I had a headache.  Not only was I overly busy, but I was afraid that a headache was going to start anytime.  My life was pretty much pain during the headaches and fear and anxiety between the headaches.  I don’t encourage this approach to life!

How have things changed?  I don’t have a life-threatening illness where I am trying to capture every bit of life before I die, but I do have an illness that threatens to become my life.  I’m learning to plan to do fewer things when I feel well.  I’m also getting the hang of just enjoying the migraine-free time.

Psalm 90:12 “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

I learn to “number my days aright” by abiding in Jesus.  Isaiah 26:3  reminds me “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you” and in Ephesians, we read “For He Himself (Jesus) is our peace.”  Whether I have a headache or not, I am not forgotten by God.  And, in pain or not, I can find peace in Jesus.  I can relax knowing that I am loved by God whether or not I have a headache and that He is taking care of me.

Wherever you are today, remember that Jesus is our peace today and each day.  Live in the moment – tomorrow is gone and you don’t know what tomorrow holds.  In other words, life is short; eat dessert first!

How do you live in the moment?  How do you manage to keep your cares from consuming you?

No comments: