Thursday, November 29, 2012

Results–and Thoughts

My mammogram results were all normal!! Yippee!! Unfortunately, the extra views were more painful than the original, but definitely worth it. I’m seriously looking forward to the day when they develop a completely non-painful way to screen for breast cancer.

So, yeah, God is good and all that. But, what if I had breast cancer? Would God still be good? So often, we hear “God is so good” when our test results or other life circumstance works out well. What about when the medical test result is bad? What about when someone loses their job? What about when my head hurts once again? Is God still good?

A resounding yes! Time and again, we are told in the Bible that God is good even when things are going poorly. We can’t see the whole picture, but God knows our situation and that of the other 7 billion people on this planet. When Job was being tested, he said, “I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God.” (Job 19:25-26) Jeremiah says in him Lamentations,

19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.

20 I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”

25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.

And, of course, if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you probably know that one of my favorite verses on this topic is John 16:33 where Jesus says, “In this world you will have trouble, but, take heart, I have overcome the world.”

I’m thrilled that my mammogram was normal and I don’t need to go back for another year. But, no matter what the test results, no matter how much my head hurts, no matter what happens in life, Jesus has overcome the world. And, more importantly, He offers each of us the chance to walk with Him by just believing that he died to pay for our sins and was raised from the dead because He’s God in human form and overcame death.

Not only do we get eternal life in Heaven, but we get to walk every day on earth with Jesus. They won’t always be easy days. Life still sucks sometimes – but, hey, take heart, Jesus overcame the world – and walking with Jesus makes it all OK!!

 

No comments: