Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday Night

I have so much I want to write about – parenting, materialism, living like Jesus, etc. – but I have a terrible migraine tonight, so it’s just not going to happen.

However, I can be rather non-profound and show you pictures of our plants and garden.

048 050

051

These are all my wave petunias grown from seed this year.  I was a little late getting them out, but the really perk up the front yard.

 

052 

My lavender plant is very small, but coming along.

 

053  

Mint (AKA – the Audrey II)  It’s growing like crazy.  I’ve already dried some leaves and am making mint extract.

054

Basil – It’s starting to flower, so I’m glad I’ve already got the leaves off and they’re almost dry.

055

Dill – I got lots of dill, which is good because I like it in scrambled eggs.

056  059

Catnip – I’ve already pulled off leaves to dry, but I didn’t know how pretty the flowers are.

 

060 

Oregano – It was planted later than everything else, so it’s still catching up.

062063 065 066 067 

These are the hanging cukes and tomatoes.  We’ve had several cucumbers already, but the tomatoes are still green.  The Topsy Turvy bag does work better than the ice cream bucket and I think it’s because the depth of the bag allows for better root system development.  In any case, they’re growing.  Thankfully, the kids love cucumbers and tomatoes.

 

068

070

Our Square Foot Gardens were invaded by rabbits.  I don’t know if you can see, but there are holes in several of the carrot squares.  We’ve put the cages back up to protect them.  I actually had broccoli growing this year, however all but one of the broccoli plants had been eaten down to the ground.  That rabbit was sure busy.  We’ll be getting broccoli from the CSA, so it’s not the end of the world.

That’s what’s up in our gardens.  Thankfully, they don’t require much care.  What all have you been up to outside this summer?

No comments: