Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Do The Next Thing!

I’ve been feeling a bit (OK, a lot!) overwhelmed by all the things on my to-do list:

  • Finalize curriculum choices.
  • Clean and organize schoolroom (so far, I’ve emptied the contents of the large closet onto the floor – I’m not sure this is progress!)
  • Order curriculum
  • Set up next year’s school schedules
  • Finish Rosie Girl’s 9th grade transcript
  • Keep Wild Man from watching Netflix or TV for 10 hours a day!

Then I read this post about cleaning closets on the Internet Monk site, which led me to look up the poem that he referenced.  Here it is:

“Doe the Next Thynge” (Do the Next Thing)

From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “DOE THE NEXTE THYNGE.”

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Thrust them with Jesus, doe the nexte thynge.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, doe the nexte thynge

Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, doe the nexte thynge.

                                                               –Anonymous

 

I know that the way to get past being overwhelmed is just to “do the next thing” and to plod along instead of trying to race through getting it all done at once.  I love the reminder that Jesus is with me as I “do the next thing”.

No comments: