Saturday, July 02, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday–July 1, 2011

7_quick_takes_sm

 

1. We go to Family Camp tomorrow!!  We’re all very excited and can’t wait to get there.  A week of no cooking, just hanging out with the hubby and kids (and a couple hundred other people), playing games, reading books, and (of course) knitting. 

2. I’ve had a migraine all day today, so PWM has been doing most of the house-cleaning and packing.  Thankfully, the kids are old enough to do their own packing.   I really hope the headache is gone by tomorrow because the one thing that’s worse than having a migraine when I’d rather be packing is having a migraine during the drive and first day of camp.

3. Our week has been consumed with The Knitting Nest.  We have the retail space now, but still need to get fixtures.  We met with our first yarn company rep this week, too.  Check out The Knitting Nest blog for more details.

4. I just finished an excellent biography on Adolf Hitler.  I’ll post a review later, but suffice it  to say that the man was truly evil.  I’m also reading a book by an author who is part of the Second Generation, those whose parents were Holocaust survivors.  Yet once again, I’m devastated by the reminder of how awful human beings can treat each other.

5. Rosie Girl is making a crochet backpack with a theme from one of her favorite anime shows.  I may wish that she’d be this diligent with her Geometry, but she certainly knows how to keep learning new things and trying new projects.  It’s also been fun to have her help with the library knitting club – the girls really look up to her!

6. Wild Man made chocolate-chip pancakes yesterday.  I could get used to him doing most of the cooking around here!  Mom cooked week before last and we’ve been eating those leftovers this week and now we’re going to camp where we will be fed three wonderful meals each day, with the option for an afternoon snack (mint chocolate chip ice cream for me) at the canteen.  [Insert deep sigh of contentment.]

7. The last Harry Potter movie comes out in two weeks!!  I don’t feel strongly about going to see it on the first day, and I really don’t want to see it in 3D (that can’t be good for someone who has migraines on a regular basis!), but I do think we’ll get to it within the first week.  PWM has been learning to use his lathe and he wants to use it to make replicas of the “Elder Wand” that he can sell.  He carved one by hand for Wild Man for Christmas and it’s just gorgeous.  I can’t wait to see how his work on the lathe goes!

Check out 7 Quick Takes Friday to see what others have been up to!

No comments: