Sunday, May 08, 2011

Our Weekend, Including Mother’s Day

I’ve had better weekends.  The plan was for me to make Wild Man’s birthday cake on Friday so he could have his party on Saturday with his friends sleeping over, and then go to church on Sunday (Mother’s Day) where PWM, Rosie Girl, and Wild Man would all be playing during the worship music time.  So, did it happen like this?  Kind of.

On Friday, PWM was feeling awful with cold symptoms and a sore throat.  I was inclined to think it was just a cold until he developed a fever.  Since he was sick, I did the shopping for Wild Man’s party and then came home and made dinner and made Wild Man’s cake.  He didn’t want a lot of decorations on it, so I thought I’d just do a little writing on it Saturday morning.

PWM had an 8am appointment at the clinic where he was diagnosed with strep and given meds.  Yippee!!  (Not “yippee” that he had strep, but “yippee” that he could take meds for it instead of just having to wait it out.)  I woke up at about 8:30 with a migraine.  No big deal, I figured I’d take my meds and stay upstairs when the boys were inside and being loud.  Unfortunately, by 11am, I was vomiting and thought my head might explode.  So, my dear hubby took me off to the Emergency Room for treatment.

While we were there, he texted Rosie Girl that she was to be “in charge” when Wild Man’s friends got there.  The boys started arriving at 1pm, but PWM and I didn’t leave the Emergency Department until 2pm.  The ER staff was very helpful.  The doctor who saw me is one whom I’ve seen before (and I think he started there before I quit working).  He commented that I hadn’t been to the ER in “a coon’s age” – which is, thankfully, true.  My last couple of bad migraines that required intervention were during clinic hours and I could get meds there.  In any case, it took a lot of meds and fluids to get things calmed down.

We got home to find five adolescent boys running around playing.  And they were ready for cake!  So, we had presents and cake and ice cream before I went upstairs.  I slept for about 4 hours and then spent most of the rest of the afternoon/evening upstairs with one of the cats (who did NOT like having strangers around).

The boys were in their sleeping bags by 11, although I don’t think they were asleep quite that soon.  I didn’t get  up this morning till 10:30, but I know that everyone had to be at church at 7am, so Wild Man, all his friends, Rosie Girl, and PWM were out the door by 6:30am.

Since I got up so late, I’m missing the Mother’s Day festivities at church.  But, really, I’m just glad the migraine is better.  I haven’t had one that bad in quite a while.  And, I have to say that Wild Man has some good friends.  They prayed before they ate dinner (without having a parent tell them to), their arguments and fussing were minimal, and they were all very respectful to me and PWM. 

I think we’re going to have a quiet day  at home today.  We might take a walk later.  Otherwise, we’re going to have Chinese take-out, hang out together, and watch the finale of The Amazing Race.

So, how has your Mother’s Day been?  Anything exciting planned?

No comments: