Sunday, October 24, 2010

Our Week In Review – 10/24/2010

Our-Week-In-Review-3

What a week!   As my counselor told me, I was going through “re-entry” into the family system.  Yeah.  Whatever.  I tried to catch up between migraines, but still have a suitcase in my bedroom that needs to be emptied.  Sigh.  I’m writing this while I prepare next week’s schedule, so it’s later than usual.

Wild Man

We spent this week learning more about Japan.  We finished reading Commodore Perry In The Land Of The Shogun and watched some Netflix movies about Samurai.  We also talked about some more serious issues when he watched a Netflix show about Hiroshima and read Sadako and the 1000 Cranes.

Wild Man and I went to the Nutrition Site for the monthly birthday party on Wednesday.  We both enjoyed working in the kitchen and he loves to play Bingo after lunch.

Band has been going quite well for Wild Man.  Not only is he playing percussion in Band, but he has joined a youth band at church where the kids are all young and are just learning their instruments.

A couple of weeks ago, I broke my hand mixer.  Instead of throwing it away, I asked PWM to cut the plug off.  On Monday, Wild Man took the mixer apart and looked at how the motor worked.  He also unwound all the copper wire and rewound it for Rosie Girl (although he did charge her $1 for the labor involved – maybe we’ll say he’s learning business, too!).  Oh, and he’s wearing the eye patch because one part of his vision therapy is to do some fine motor activity with one eye patched.

002 007

Rosie Girl

Rosie Girl wrote a very nice paper on the development of the Church in Southeast Asia in the early years after Jesus.  She also turned in a final draft of an essay to Write At Home.  I’m pleased with the feedback that she’s getting from her writing coach.

On Friday, Rosie Girl went to Writing Club after school.  She loves hanging out with other writing friends.  They are all going to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) starting November 1.  This time, I’m not even going to try to do it!

Rosie Girl was a little unhappy with her Chemistry this week because I made it a review week.  I’m glad I did because she seems to have a much better understanding of bonding.

I couldn’t find an online Japanese course for Rosie Girl when we started the year, so she has been using the free program from the library.  I think she’s learning, but it’s hard for me to evaluate.  At a wedding this past June, a friend told me that her son used the online BYU Japanese class.  Rosie Girl and I checked it out and I’m going to sign her up this week!

This next week Wild Man will be learning about Korea.  We’re also going to spend a little more effort on Language Arts.

 

No comments: