Wednesday, October 27, 2010

ACK! They’re Not Little Anymore!

I don’t think I can handle this.  It seems like just yesterday that they were elementary school age.  But not now.  They’re growing up entirely too quickly!!

Rosie Girl was asked this Monday to play piano for a women’s Christmas tea at a local church in December.  The woman who called left a message on Rosie Girl’s cell phone.  Rosie Girl had to call her back to tell her that she could do the performance, but she was very nervous about making the call.  I’m so proud that she did it and accepted the offer to perform and is now working on setting up the music for it.

Last Friday, the high school writers’ club met.  They want to get sweatshirts with their name and logo on them, so Rosie Girl offered to do the legwork.  Yesterday, she walked to the shop after art class and got a quote from them.  When she got home, she realized that she was unclear on the cost of each shirt, so she had to call the shop back to clarify things.  Again, this was a hard thing for her, but she did it!

Last week, I told the Nutrition Site coordinator that I wouldn’t be trying to come every week, but just on the monthly birthday party day.  However, Wild Man still wanted to go.  This morning, I slept in late because of last night’s migraine, so PWM drove Wild Man to the site and I picked him up almost two hours later.  Wild Man said that there wasn’t a ton of stuff for him to do, but he had a good time.  Most jobs that he does up there are with one of the senior citizens, so I’m glad to see that he’s enjoying his time with them.

One of the things that I read in The Endless Adolescence is that teens need to be part of “real” adult life and not trapped in the “teenage bubble”.  I’m so glad that my kids are willingly embracing these growing steps – even if it makes me nervous!

 

No comments: