Monday, August 23, 2010

Menu Plan Monday – August 23, 2010

mpm8-1

We’ve been flying by the seat of our pants when it comes to meals around here lately, but I’d like to be a little more organized than just saying, “Get food if you’re hungry!”  Hence my restarting some menu planning.  I’ve also told the kids that they are each responsible for one meal a week.  Wild Man still requires a good bit of help from me in the kitchen, but Rosie Girl is now independent enough that it’s useful for me when she cooks. 

As always, I’m just going to list the meals since the order in which we eat them depends on my migraines as well as whatever else is going on.  I’m also assuming some veggie side dish and/or salad, but I’m not planning them right now because we haven’t gotten our CSA bag yet.

1. Spaghetti with garlic bread

2. Homemade macaroni and cheese (Wild Man)

3. Zuppa Toscana (Rosie Girl) with some kind of bread

4. Homemade pizza night (I want to try making pizza dough with my food processor.  My Kitchen Aid yells at me when I ask it to knead the pizza dough for me and I end up doing it by hand!)

5. Spinach pie (perhaps made with some other greens, depending on what’s in the CSA bag)

6. Leftovers

7. Sandwich night – probably tonight since I have a meeting and PWM hasn’t shopped yet!

Check out Menu Plan Monday to see what others are up to this week!  (And I’m like number 206 because I’m not terribly organized first thing on Monday morning!)

2 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

I notice you wanted to make pizza dough with your food processor...how did it turn out? Or did it not ? I have a Cuisinart that I got for Christmas and it came with a dough recipe.
If you didn't find one let me know and I'll type up the one I have.

Catherine said...

I did make the pizza dough later that night. I just used a regular recipe and put the yeast with the dry ingredients like I do when I make bread. I was all panicked because some of the salt and oil ended up getting left in the Pyrex measuring cup since I mixed them in with the water. (I was seriously flying by the seat of my pants!) Then, I got worried because the dough got very warm and I was afraid that the water was too hot and killed the yeast. Then . . . my food processor wasn't any happier about kneading pizza dough than my Kitchen Aid mixer is. But, I did some hand kneading and put the dough in a bowl in the fridge for the night. The next morning, the dough had risen perfectly. An hour before dinner, I split the dough into four parts and let them rise on the counter. Nobody else wanted to deal with their dough, so I flattened and stretched each one out to about 8-10 inches. Everyone then topped the pizzas and we baked them. They were delicious and most of us had leftovers for lunches later in the week!!

So, I'm now a fan of doing pizza dough the night before. But thanks for the offer of your recipe. I think the migraine was helping to make little things seem like insurmountable hurdles! When we finally ate the pizzas, though, they were delish!!

Thanks for visiting my blog!