Thursday, October 15, 2009

Three Things Thursday

Home School Dad hosts Three Things Thursday over at his blog every week.  This is my first time to participate, although I should do it more often, if for no other reason than to support a homeschooling dad.  In our family, Mr. Math Tutor was the homeschooling parent while I was the “make the money” parent until my migraines took over life four years ago. 

Now that our roles are reversed, I am seriously grateful for all the work my dear hubby did for those first several years.  It’s really kind of funny to read Home School Dad’s posts and remember back to the years when Mr. Math Tutor was doing the grocery shopping and taking the kids to the library.     

But, back to our regularly scheduled program – this week’s Three Things Thursday has the theme Three Fears.  Of course, after I gave such a glowing review to Max Lucado’s book, Fearless, I wonder if I should participate at all.  You might think I’m not practicing what I learned.  But since I live in the real world, I’ll go ahead and post about my fears, which I definitely have!

1. I have a great fear of losing control which shows up in lots of different ways.  For example, our church’s women’s group goes to a women’s retreat every fall.  When I was working, I didn’t go because I usually wanted to hang out with my family on my free weekends.  In the last few years, though, I’ve come up with other excuses for not going. 
They boiled down, though, to fear of having a wicked migraine and not having my husband there to “run interference” for me.  I was afraid of losing control during a migraine – vomiting, crying, etc. – and having other women worrying over me.  I’m glad to say, though, that I went this year.  I told a friend about my fear and she promised to help me find a quiet spot if I had a bad migraine.  I also took every migraine medication known to mankind (OK, that might be hyperbole) with me, even taking a little ice chest for the refrigerated medications.  And the retreat was wonderful – I was so glad I went.

2. I’m afraid of snakes.  I don’t know why.  I’ve never been bitten although my cat was when I was in high school.  He was bitten by a water moccasin (we lived in Florida) and had to stay overnight at the vet’s office.  Other than that, I just don’t like their slithery bodies . . .

3. I am afraid of ruining my kids with homeschooling.  My fear isn’t that homeschooling as a concept will hurt them, but that I will do something so bad that they will grow up to become bums living off of me and Mr. Math Tutor until they are 45 (which would definitely be a tragedy).  This is probably my least rational fear.  My kids are socially well-adjusted and seem to be reasonably well-educated.  Wild Man is learning to deal with his dyslexia and can read independently.  Rosie Girl is doing just fine in her high school subjects.  But, especially when I have a week with lots of migraines, I hear that little voice again that I’m not doing a good enough job.  I know that this fear is not based in reality and I have to keep telling myself this.  Over and over and over and over and over and over. . . .

So, what about you??  What are you afraid of?  Is it rational?  Check out Three Things Thursday to see what others are saying!!

  

1 comment:

Dave Roller said...

Catherine, yes your link showed up on my page. You hsve to click the Mr. Linky to see them which is a bummer. I am trying to fix that so the list shows up, I think that will make people want to participate more.

Thanks for participating and I look forward you to doing so in the future. It is much easier on the weeks that are not themed.