Thursday, October 29, 2009

Three Things This Thursday – The Halloween Edition

1. I used to stress about whether or not to “do” Halloween.  Not any more.  There are so many more important things in life to worry about – like migraines, Democrats in Congress, and the state of my kitchen floor.  And it’s not like we can “accidentally” end up worshipping the devil!!  Here are some links about Christians and Halloween that you might find helpful if you are trying to sort out how to handle the holiday.

   Concerning Halloween by James B. Jordan

   Annual Halloween Rant by Internet Monk

   Halloween Schmalloween by the Jolly Blogger

2. Before we moved to our current home, we lived in a rather new subdivision.  I like to be generous on Halloween, so I bought a lot of candy.  Since we were in a pretty new area, though, we had very few trick or treaters and we always had tons of candy left for me to take to the office the next Monday.  Don’t worry, though, my kids got lots of candy at our church’s Fall-O-Ween party. 

Now, we live on Main Street in a nearby town and things are totally different.  We have trick or treaters almost non-stop during trick or treat hours!!  I ran out of candy the first two years and barely had enough last year.  Our church doesn’t do Fall-O-Ween anymore, but my kids make good use of the trick or treat hours and don’t come home empty-handed!!

3. Halloween is the one time of year that I sew.  Otherwise, my craft of choice is knitting (and scrapbooking, but I don’t have time for that anymore).  Last year, I made part of Wild Man’s costume, but was fortunate that Grandma came to town and finished Wild Man’s and Rosie Girl’s costumes.  This year, both kids just wanted a cape – and the exact same cape that Wild Man had last year, but in different fabrics. 

We had a bit of a fiasco finding the pattern since it had gotten put in the wrong package, but eventually I got all the supplies together.  Originally, I was going to sew Wild Man’s, but he was supposed to help me and start to learn to sew (everyone should have some basic sewing knowledge, right).  Didn’t happen.  I made his cape between headaches so I did it on my own while he played video games.  Yeah, I don’t win mommy points for that, but it’s done. 

Rosie Girl was supposed to do her own cape this year since she does have some basic sewing skills.  Unfortunately, she got a sinus infection and is now behind in her schoolwork.  I took pity on her and made her cloak on Monday night.

Both kids are now ready for trick or treating.  Thankfully, all I need to do is sit on the steps and hand out candy.

Check out Three Things This Thursday to see what others are up to!

P.S.  Wild Man is part of the local Haunted Theater this weekend.  I’ll have some pictures of him in his scary makeup in a day or two.  Stay tuned!

  

No comments: