Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Easy Dinner


Rocks in My Dryer hosts Works for Me Wednesday again today. My post today is a recipe - kind of. My parents gave me a pressure cooker for Christmas, and it has become one of my most used and treasured kitchen possessions. One of the easiest things to make for dinner is a meat and rice/barley dish that my family loves.
I start with about a pound of cut up beef or venison, often frozen. I put this in the pressure cooker and then add 1-2 cups of rice or barley. Then, I add water or broth - about twice as much liquid as rice or barley. Next, I add some spices and onion soup mix. If I have some, I put in one or two cans of cut or french sliced green beans. I then cook it under high pressure for about 40 minutes if the meat isn't frozen to start with, for an hour if I started with frozen meat. It does taste better if you brown the meat first, but that adds complexity, so I rarely do it. When it's done, serve in bowls. That's it. Really simple, but it works for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe. My mom is bringing some venison next week that someone gave her. She doesn't know how to cook it. I think she's bringing venison tips and ground venison. Should be interesting. If you have any more good venison recipes, please share!