We got the keys to our “new” house on Friday and started moving. The house is only 6 blocks from our old house, but we’ve only got about 2/3 of our stuff moved. Here are some observations from the last week.
- Moving in January in Wisconsin is lunacy. Last Friday, the high temperature was below zero! We did most of the moving on Saturday and Sunday when the temps were single digits and low teens. Yippee.
- We have only been able to do minimal moving on Monday and today because of snow. Again, don’t move in the winter in Wisconsin. Right.
- The advantage to moving in winter is that our old house should be on the market as soon as the spring real estate market heats up. At least, that’s what we keep telling ourselves.
- I stopped at the diner on Tuesday morning before working in the shop and the patrons there said they were very happy to see lights on in our new house. This house is actually pretty old, so people who are from the area are glad to see it occupied again. Pretty neat,
- Our new house is between two apartment complexes, one of which used to the be the town’s hotel. We’re in a small town, but definitely not out in the country.
- The cats had a rough first day adjusting to the new house (well, except for Sassy who is so silly that she just needs to know where her food and litter box are to be happy). Silver and Sophie are still exploring and still freak out when someone opens a door, but it seems to be getting better.
- I’ve discovered the wonders of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Between PWM and his mom on Monday and me yesterday, the bathroom downstairs and the kitchen are all nice and clean.
- We got a great fridge at a great price, but it’s a bit too tall for it’s spot in the kitchen. Until PWM can fix the problem, we can’t get into the pantry. Right now, all of our pantry food is on temporary shelves under the bar. Yay. But, I love the fridge – especially the crushed ice!!
- I thought we had done a good job of getting rid of stuff in the weeks before we started moving, but we still have too darn much stuff!
- We start back to homeschool on Monday, even if we are working around boxes!
So, what’s up in your part of the world?