Thursday, February 24, 2011

Knitting Update – 2/24/2011

I have been toiling away at my stranded knitting project – Dogwood Blossoms by KnitPicks.  So far, I’ve gotten 1 1/2 sleeves done.  It is definitely slow going with color changes almost every row.  After I finished the first sleeve, I measured it and realized that it was too small!  But, I promise that I did a swatch before I started.  Apparently, though, I knit the actual item more tightly than I did the swatch.  I’m going to finish the second sleeve and then block them, hopefully to the size that I need.  If that works, I’ll do the body using larger needles.  If it doesn’t, then I’ll do the body at the same gauge I’m doing it now and give the sweater to someone smaller than me.  Lesson learned: A swatch is vital, but it’s also important to check gauge during the knitting project!

007

Last weekend, PWM, Grandma, Rosie Girl, and I went to a Shop Hop in Appleton.  We started at a yarn shop where I bought some great yarn – at 20% off!  Then, we went to a bead shop where we got to learn to make earrings.  Rosie Girl picked up some wire and we both got some beads.  I’ve got some great ideas for adding beads to knitted items!  We ended up at a quilt shop that Grandma really likes.  I loved all the fabric, but I don’t sew much, so it was just “window shopping” for me.

Other projects I’ve got in the works are a scarf for the coffee shop owner and a pair of socks.  I’ve also come across a great idea for using leftover plastic grocery bags to make totes bags.

I sold a pair of wrist warmers this week!!  I guess I’m now a “professional knitter”.  Now that the weather is warming up, I’m thinking about some new designs for lacy wristlets, summer hats, and bags.  When I’m not knitting, I’m thinking about new pattern possibilities.

The yarn shop plan is still moving forward – just very, very slowly.  Lots of thinking, lots of ideas.

What fun and creative things have you been doing lately?

No comments: