Sunday, June 21, 2009

Holiday Flexibility

I love holidays!  Celebrations are always fun.  The last few years, though, my migraines have interfered far more than I would have liked.  We have taken to becoming rather flexible with our holidays around here.

IMG_0003Rosie Girl’s birthday was yesterday, but we celebrated on Friday.  For one thing, she came home from camp on Friday, so coming home to a birthday celebration was a real surprise for her.  For another thing, I figured that I’d better go ahead and bake a cake while I felt well.  But, things didn’t go quite as planned.  Mr. Math Tutor drove up North to get Rosie Girl and Wild Man rode off to the baseball field to get on the bus for his IMG_0010game.  I started making the cake – a chocolate pound cake in a tube pan that would be filled with strawberries and surrounded with strawberries that had been dipped in white and milk chocolate.  All was going quite well until I checked on the cake about an hour into the baking process and realized that it wasn’t rising.  In fact, it had a big ole dip in the middle of it.  On racking my brain, I couldn’t actually remember putting in the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  I knew they had been on the counter, but I wasn’t sure they made it into the batter.

Well, Rosie Girl was not going to see a perfectly made cake when she got home.  I let the cake finish baking, hoping that I was just mistaking what a normal pound cake should look like halfway through baking, but it was, indeed a total loss.  When Rosie Girl got home, she got to see a mass of chocolate wanna-be cake, lots of strawberries, and some birthday presents.  We let her open the presents, though, which were both video games and kept her plenty occupied (along with telling us all about camp) until I could make another cake and get it decorated.  And when it was done, it was positively decadent!!IMG_0048

Today is Father’s Day, but we’re not celebrating today.  For one thing, I have a migraine and have already taken a long nap.  We are also planning our celebration for tomorrow because LSU is playing the Texas Longhorns in the College World Series tomorrow night.  We’re going to have steak and watch baseball, so we’ll make that our Father’s Day celebration – with Mr. Math Tutor’s approval, of course!!

A little flexibility goes a long way in this house.

No comments: