Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rich Mullins - Creed

I'm starting a new feature here at "Adventures in Domesticity". Every once in a while (which means I don't want to tie myself to a schedule), I'll write my thoughts about a Rich Mullins song. As a reminder (because I'm sure everyone knows who Rich Mullins is), Rich Mullins was an amazing singer/songwriter in the 80s and 90s. He was killed tragically in an auto accident in 1997. Not only was he known for his music, but he lived and ministered on a Native American reservation. He was very inspired by Saint Francis of Assissi and lived a very simple life. He was an amazing man and his music has had a profound effect on me, so I thought I'd share some of it with you.

I believe in God the Father

Almighty Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth

And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, our Lord

He was conceived by the Holy Spirit Born of the virgin Mary

Suffered under Pontius Pilate He was crucified and dead and buried

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am

I did not make it, no it is making me

It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe that He who suffered was crucified, buried, and dead

He descended into hell and on the third day, rose again

He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God's mighty right hand

I believe that He's returning To judge the quick and the dead of the sons of men

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am

I did not make it, no it is making me

It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe it, I believe it I believe it I believe it, I believe it

I believe in God the Father Almighty Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth

And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, our Lord

I believe in the Holy Spirit One Holy Church The communion of Saints The forgiveness of sin

I believe in the resurrection I believe in a life that never ends

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am

I did not make it, no it is making me I did not make it, no it is making me I said I did not make it, no it is making me

It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man I believe it, I believe I believe it, I believe I believe it, I believe it I believe it, I believe it I believe it, I believe it I believe it

This is one of my absolute favorite Rich Mullins songs because it just lays out the basics. The Nicene Creed was written in 325AD at the Council of Nicaea. It was largely developed in order to combat the Arian heresy which stated that Jesus was a created being. The basic tenets had been in place prior to that, but the Council codified it into Church belief. The vast majority of Christian denominations subscribe to the Nicene creed.

One of my favorite lines in this song is "I did not make it, no it is making me. . . . It is the very truth of God, not the invention of any man". My faith is not something that comes from inside me. I didn't make it up. No, my faith is from God who is eternal. Not only that, my faith is "making me". I am constantly being influenced by it. I am (hoping) to become daily more and more like Jesus.




No comments: