Sunday, January 12, 2014

Words for the Year - 2014

Since I no longer do New Year’s Resolutions, I do a “Word for the Year”. This year I’m actually doing two words for the year since they’re kind of related. Ready? Here they are:

Abide/Abode

Abide – As in “Abide in Christ” I chose this word somewhat in honor of my friend Gary, who went to be with Jesus this year. It was his goal to help people learn to “abide in Christ”, so one of my goals this year is to learn more how to “abide in Christ”. Here are some steps I want to take toward this end.

  • I am going to work harder at getting our small group together. OK, it’s me and PWM and one other couple. Not much of a small group, but it’s all we can manage right now. And it’s one way I can connect closely with other believers. My headaches make me such a hermit but I think this small group can help with with my walk with Jesus.
  • I’m going to focus on John 15 and I John, the scriptures that talk most about abiding in Christ (in the NASB – the NIV uses the word “remain”).
  • Listen to more music that helps me relax and focus on Jesus. Some of this is worship music, but others is just classical or other instrumental music.

Abode – As in our home. We moved into this house about one year ago and I’m still trying to make it a home.

  • The bright yellow wall in the kitchen/dining room is still bothering me. I don’t think I want to paint it blue anymore, but a lighter shade of yellow would be nice.
  • The upstairs closet could stand a good organizing.
  • Sometime in the spring, Wild Man and I will meet my parents in Mississippi and get some furniture that used to be in their trailer and bring it back up here. I’ll finally have some real living room furniture!

I’m only twelve days into the New Year! I can do this!

What about you? Any New Year’s Resolutions, Words, Ideas, etc.?

No comments: